Thursday, March 29, 2012

Homemade Vegannaise

The vegan challenge is officially over--but I felt so good by the end, I am keeping it up!--for the most part. I am not as strict as I was during the 28 day challenge, so I will occasionally allow myself some yogurt or an egg, but it's been almost 2 months since I've eaten any meat. Now I'm focusing my efforts on DIY sauces, vegan appetizer make overs, and whole grain, vegan baking.

One thing I run into when trying to re-vamp my favorites, especially appetizers, is so many of them use mayo or sour cream. I looked into buying some veganaise at the health food store, but for $8 a pop I decided against it. So last night I tried out a fabulous recipe for homemade mayo; it took all of 2 minutes, and has a very authentic texture and wonderful flavor! Here's the recipe I ended up with:

1 cup oil--I used olive oil, which makes the mayo olive-y, but I liked it.
1/2 non-dairy milk--I used soy
1 squirt stone ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
salt & srirachi to taste

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a food processsor or blender and mix until smooth. Blend in the vinegar until the mixture thickens, and voila! Mayo--when I tasted my creation at this point, it was kind of bland, so I added some salt and sriracha to give it some flavor. Curry powder or some horseradish might be good, too.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. If you are here this summer, I may be willing to get on board the vegan train...just for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah!! You won't regret it...I hope...haha

    ReplyDelete