Monday, February 13, 2012

Delicious First Dinner


I figured hearty was the way to start out my week because:
1) I bought pasta at the store
2) Pasta dishes are usually quick to make
2) I generally come home from work feeling like my stomach is eating itself
3) Pasta is a comfort food for many people, so, in the hope of avoiding any feelings of loss and/or deprivation--a tactic I believe to have been successful--I made pasta.


The recipe was pretty simple. I sauteed onions, greens (you could use anything, but I used dandelion leaves, turnip greens, and spinach), and garlic (I don't really time things when I cook, I just add ingredients to the pan as I finish chopping them) in olive oil and a bit of water until the greens were wilted. You could add Italian spices if your heart desired, but I only used salt and pepper. At the last minute, I added a few Kalamata olives just to heat them through.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume everyone can boil pasta (whole grain, of course), which I did, then tossed with olive oil. I topped the pasta with the leaves and drizzled everything with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Hearty, and full of flavor!

1 comment: