Thursday, February 16, 2012

Green Bean and Sesame Noodles

When sharing this recipe, I step up onto my pedestal and advocate making your own sauces--they taste better than just about anything from a store with a reasonable price tag and (more often than not) mean less sodium and fewer preservatives.

I wanted to make a peanut sauce, but alas, I was out of peanut butter; so I opted for a spicy mustard sauce instead:

Mustard (preferably stone ground)
Soy sauce (preferably reduced sodium)
Teriyaki sauce
Cider vinegar
Srirachi

If you happened to have peanut butter on hand, you could easily sub it in for the mustard. My general strategy tends to be mix and taste until you like it, the up side being it suits your taste, the down side being you will inevitably create the Mona Lisa of sauces and never be able to recreate it again.

I started by pan-frying green beans, carrots, Anaheim pepper, garlic and onion. Once they browned a bit, I added my sauce and a bit of water so nothing would burn (I taste test when cooking green beans--I'm texture-particular) and let everything simmer (for the extent of my dish washing--15 minutes, I suppose). You may now drool over the finished product: whole wheat spaghetti noodles (or noodle of your choice) and sesame seeds with the veggies. Guten appetit!

 P.S. Sorry about the cell-phone quality pics...real camera coming soon :/.







No comments:

Post a Comment