Wednesday, February 15, 2012

White Bean Hummus--Dare I say, better than the original?

I bought a massive bag of white beans over the weekend, only to quickly realize I could be moving in mere months and have a solid 10 pounds of beans, lentils, and peas to consume--time to get creative!

Although I don't claim to have invented this white bean spread, I believe it was a sign from whatever higher power appeals to you that I forgot to buy chick peas, and was thus obligated to sub white beans instead. While I won't bash the original, this white bean spread has its advantages:

1) When using dried beans, as I usually do, chick peas are a nightmare; white beans don't take near as long to reach a blendable softness.

2) It might be that white beans retain more water than chick peas, but I didn't add as much oil as I do to hummus before there's enough liquid for it to swirl and blend in my food processor.

3) For anyone without a food processor in her/his possession, these beans are very blender friendly (chick peas, in my opinion, are not)--I'd imagine you could even make this without an appliance using a potato masher and a fork.

4) The taste was amazing! Definitely smoother than hummus--and creamy--almost like butter.

So, chick peas vs. white beans? I can't decide, but my lunch looks delicious! Hummus, kalamata olives and cucumber with pita chips.

P.S. If you have some great ideas for beans or lentils, let me know! I'm going to need them...

No comments:

Post a Comment